Last night my daughter said she wanted to help make dinner so she could learn how to cook and I jumped at that request, I asked her to call out what we had in the fridge for ingredients while I searched for a few recipes online. Often when I do this I find one or two recipes that sound great in most ways, but we always need to make alterations.
This is the invention that we came up with and the kids were commenting on how great it was. I have one child who isn’t fond of tofu, so we doubled the recipe and made one casserole without. When they got up for thirds I knew I had to share the recipe. It is healthy and delicious and so warming when the weather is not. Enjoy!
- 4 cups cabbage
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes (I used canned)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp. Braggs amino acids
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped ginger
- 1 ½ – 2 cups brown rice(cooked)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, shredded (option of using a vegan cheese or omitting)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 carrot, shredded
- salt (I used Herbamare)
- curry powder (to taste)
- oregano (to taste)
- Cook brown rice.
- Chop tofu into small cubes, place in glass bowl with a lid.
- Mix Braggs amino acids, olive oil, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, curry powder and oregano in a small jar. Shake well. Add a bit of water if needed. Pour on to tofu and set aside.
- Chop cabbage up into thin strips and place (uncooked) in the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish (one with an oven safe lid).
- Chop onions and sauté on low with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent.
- Mix nutritional yeast into the rice
- Sauté tofu mixture until browning slightly. Layer on top of the cabbage.
- Layer ½ cup cheese on top of the tofu mixture.
- Add cooked onion to top of the cheese layer.
- Layer the rice on top of the onions.
- On top of the rice, layer the shredded carrot.
- On the carrot, layer the tomatoes and the juices from the can.
- Add the breadcrumbs on top of the tomatoes.
- Add the rest of the cheese, spread evenly, on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Cook at 350 for 45 minutes, (covered); then broil for 3-5 minutes.