This year the kids and I found a recipe for Cinnamon Christmas Tree Ornaments. They were easy and fun to make. They are non-toxic so I am not worried for our cats or toddlers that might visit. Best of all they smell wonderful!
Also the house smelled amazing while they baked. My son did insist on trying the mix as we made them, but that didn’t last long. So much cinnamon!
Ingredients for Cinnamon Christmas Tree Ornaments
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground cloves (optional)
Instructions for Cinnamon Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine ingredients. We used our hands for this part, but you could use a boring mixer. You want the dough to be a ball that you can roll out, so not too sticky and not too dry. Add cinnamon and applesauce to it to adjust.
- Use cling wrap or wax paper or parchment paper on your counter surface – sprinkle cinnamon on it to help with the rolling out and not sticking. We put the cinnamon dough between two sheets of wax paper to roll it out, but cling wrap might stick less.
- Roll out the dough to desired thickness (about 1/4 inch).
- Cut out into desired shapes and place on cookie sheet with parchment paper. Make sure they are not touching.
- Make holes in the cookies with a straw or skewer [MAKE SURE TO DO THIS BEFORE COOKING]
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until rock hard.
- Add a decorative string.
- Hang on your tree or in your car or in your office…so many options.
The recipe that we found (thanks Completely Delicious) says that you can also dry them at room temperature.
Thanks to Cathy Mitchell for the above photo.